Operational DNS? Was :Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Wed Feb 13 10:06:01 EST 2002

> > What regulations, exactly?  Do you require a carrier license to pass
> > Internet traffic over a private network?
>We don't know.  No-one seems to know.  The ACA _might_ know, but they
>don't seem to be telling anyone.  :)

To quote someone from the Dept Comms and the Arts who emailed me yesterday:

 >From our understanding of the Telecommunications Act, such sharing is legal
 >provided that the service provided is of a non-commercial nature. This is an
 >issue that we're trying to get our heads around, so we'd be interested in
 >your perspective on the regulatory constraints as you see them.

It seems like it's OK (but the fellow wasn't from the ACA and his word
isn't to be taken as any official sanction or legal advice), as long as
it's non-commercial.  So, if you and a mate were sharing a cable connection
via wireless or you had a wireless connection to your work (then out to the
net) this sort of this is OK.  They just don't like it when money is being
made (or even just involved) from providing this service without a carrier
license.  I have suggested that ACA decide where the line is for commcerial
vs non-commercial.  I asked if a non-profit organisation providing Internet
access to the wireless network at fixed or pro-rata data usage payment was
considered commercial.  I have yet to hear about it.  I would err on the
side of caution and still not worry about trying to get Internet access on
the wireless network.  We should still concentrate on just making the
intranet work first.

Melbourne Wireless's end should not be to provide Internet access.  It
should be to provide a distinct intranet for users to get onto and any
Internet connectivity should be secondary and complimentary.