[MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Will Lotto lotto at impulse.net.au
Tue Feb 12 23:56:31 EST 2002

People really shouldn't be using 10.0.0.0 addresses for their private
networks... It's class A. How many private networks have a need for a
class A subnet?

.. Now, I realise it's not my place to dictate what part of the
RFC1918 range people should use for their networks.. but my point is
that most existing networks, especially home networks which will be on the
wireless network will be using class C 192.168.x.x, or class B,
172.x.x.x, because they have less than 255 hosts. (just because you
opted for a class A private network, doesn't mean everyone else did)

I was a big fan of the idea of a subnet per postcode, however a
postcode like "3551" will probably kill things (yeah, my IP is
10.551.15.23); but a table of areas should do.

So why not? 10.postcode/known_list.node#.0 per node?
It's limited in that you can only have 255 nodes per postcode, and
only 255 postcodes... but is melbourne wireless going to run into that
limit before IPv6 (yeah, dirtyword) starts being supported on
mainstream OS's?
so:
Melboure would have nodes:
10.0.1.1-255 (node #1)
10.0.2.1-255 (node #2)
10.0.3.1-255 (node #3)
Geelong nodes:
10.3.1.1-255 (node #1)
10.3.1.1-255 (node #2)
etc.

If we run out of address space, we can always run double NAT (jk)

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:41:11PM +1100, Alexander Cohen wrote:
>> Just me or I thought that it was preferable to use the reserved subnet
>> starting at 172.16.0.0 as opposed to
>> 10.0.0.0 to reduce the change of overlap between already allocated private
>> network ips?
> Do you have documentation on this?
> I'm far from an ip expert, but I doupt that it will make the transition
> easier...

---
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759