Operational DNS? Was :Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Andrew Tiltman andrew at mediadome.net.au
Tue Feb 12 23:27:04 EST 2002

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Andrew Tiltman wrote:
>
> > I figured you would have one centralised 'master' bind server, and have each
> > AP running a slave.. providing the AP's are perminantly connected to the
> > net.
>
> Essentially, yes.
>
> Points of order:
>
> - there's no requirement for each node to be a "slave" (although there
> might be good operational reasons for this).  You can just query the DNS
> as a client, provided you know where the DNS root servers are.
>
> - APs generally don't support operation as DNS servers (I don't know of
> any that do).

When i speak of AP's i dont specifically mean the hardware, obviously i ment each access point (locations for local nodes to connect to) would obviously run their own server providing such things.

If you ran an access point using a compaq wl200 or other on a linux box, you could run bind, dhcpd, etc.. whatever else you need to provide for clients.

That or have the 'hardware' access point routed through a linux machine providing said services before heading out to the rest of melbourne.

I wasnt thinking along the lines of running our own root servers, its messy and not required if we keep within the private ip ranges.
As long as the dns servers we provide are connected to the internet as well as the RAN people could use those as their primary dns for any application (RAN/internet etc) whilst being connected to the ran, if people are willing to give up a wee bit of their bandwith.

And yes they would definately be caching nameservers to reduce overall bandwith over the RAN

Damn i hope that turns out how i mean, i'm still learning :)
Anyhow, I must sleep.. early start tomorrow, nite ;)
-Andrew