Operational DNS? Was :Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 12 22:44:05 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Brett Murphy wrote:

> I am happy to donate DNS services, however I would like to
> know how this ties in with legal aspects of third party data
> transmission over wireless etc.

IANAL.

If you run a master for a zone and people load that zone, via the wired
Internet, that's fine.  If people query this via the wired Internet, no
problem.

A machine connected to the wired Internet loads the zone as a slave.  It
is also connected to the [eventual] wireless network and can be queried
via the wireless network.

No IP packets actually pass across the wired/wireless boundary (only the
information does).  I _think_ that's enough to remain within the
regulations.

Whether you can apply the same logic to a proxy server straddling the
wired/wireless boundary is another interesting question...

Further along into murky-land, the issue of connecting VIX to the wireless
network...  :)

Interestingly, APANA may actually be a very good position to help out the
wireless efforts, since APANA was officially deemed as not required to
join the TIO, because it was a "club", not providing Internet access to
"the general public".

APANA offers organisational memberships.  So if MLB-WIRELESS joins APANA,
members of MLB-WIRELESS could be deemed APANA members.  This might be a
really good reason for us to get our act together and incorporate as some
kind of association (a la footy club, for example - apparently not too
onerous to administer).

Wow.  And I didn't even have any Weet-Bix for breakfast.

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201