Operational DNS? Was :Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 12 22:16:33 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Andrew Tiltman wrote:

> I figured you would have one centralised 'master' bind server, and have each
> AP running a slave.. providing the AP's are perminantly connected to the
> net.

Essentially, yes.

Points of order:

- there's no requirement for each node to be a "slave" (although there
might be good operational reasons for this).  You can just query the DNS
as a client, provided you know where the DNS root servers are.

- APs generally don't support operation as DNS servers (I don't know of
any that do).

> So you use the dns server on whichever AP your connected to....to reduce
> traffic over the backbones (slaves updated periodically, not constantly)

That's the head of the DNS nail you hit dead on there.  Further, answers
to individual DNS questions (e.g. what's the IP for www.wireless.org.au)
are cached for a while to reduce the number of times they are asked.

Find and read the O'Reilly DNS & BIND book for a really good explanation
of how the DNS works.

Adrian.