Operational DNS? Was :Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Adrian Close adrian at close.wattle.id.au
Tue Feb 12 21:23:47 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Andrew Tiltman wrote:

> DNS is easy peasy, but you'd need the dns server to be connected to the net
> as well so it can access the root servers, that way people who are online
> and on the ran can still use the net at the same time, I dont think you can
> use two different sets of nameservers depending on the connection unless the
> other is deactivated? (if that makes sense)

There's nothing to stop people having multiple simultaneous
network connections.

Recent versions of BIND support "split DNS" operations, where there are
different "views" of the DNS depending on where you're looking from.  I
wouldn't recommend this.

Again, we're talking about a public network.  There's no need to hide our
DNS from the Internet and there's nothing wrong with having RFC 1918
addresses in Internet-visible DNS zones.

Don't worry people.  I think we're getting close to my last list message
of the evening... ;)

Adrian Close			email:	adrian at close.wattle.id.au
1 Old Gippsland Rd.		web:	http://www.close.wattle.id.au/~adrian
Lilydale, VIC, 3140, Australia	mobile:	+61 412 385 201