[MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

Andrew Tiltman andrew at mediadome.net.au
Tue Feb 12 19:16:27 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Close" <adrian at close.wattle.id.au>
To: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] IP address range for Geelong?

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Andrew Tiltman wrote:
>
> > I never stated it'd be limited to a single ip per node ;)
>
> You suggested "10.2.<suburbid>.*", which makes it difficult to do
> otherwise.  Or were you thinking to subnet the 10.2.<suburbid>.0/24
> network and hand out bits of it?  Either way, probably not enough space
> for individual node locations.

Thats pretty much it, but as even I stated at the end of the email... the d
class
alone probably wouldnt be enough to provide for people in larger suburbs ;)
(it would only leave a max of 254 ips per suburb)

I've got no experience with ipv6, are there local based ranges for it as
well? ;))
Would be alot more plausable if so.

> > As i said its basically impossible to use classes to identify our
> > locations...  I was just brain storming ;)
>
> I was brainstorming along with you.
>
> > Somehow due to the terrain in alot of areas (trees/hills) I think we'll
end
> > up having to daisy chain backbone AP's across the suburbs
> > to give local nodes access.
>
> Yes.  That will make for interesting routing.  :)

Hah
Need to find someone with a property on mt dandenong and we'd be set for the
outer eastern suburbs (could probably manage a directional link to the city
too? (around 30km's))

Hmm, I wonder if they would notice a few extra antennas added to the tv
towers up there? ;))

-Andrew

P.S.> Want to discuss it on irc?... I'm sure people stopped appreciating the
email were juggling back and forth here about 2 hours ago ;)

http://www.wireless.org.au/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=LIST&L=melbwireless