[MLB-WIRELESS] Lightning protection?

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Fri Feb 8 12:31:11 EST 2002

Adrian said :
>Bad things happen when lightning strikes antennae.  But I suspect the more
>likely source of problems for you would be the power and phone lines into
>your house, unless you have quite a high mast.

Not much of a mast atm, just an old one that was used for a satellite dish,
not that high 2m at most. No antenna to put on it ... yet.

Remember those panoramic pics from my roof that I pointed you too a while
ago? Well if you have a look around you'll see that there isn't any
powerlines/phonelines as their all underground!

>you can spend $3000 on an "early streamer emission terminal", which is
>designed to actually send out a charge to actively attract the lightning.
>Or you can do the passive lightning rod thing.  Just make sure that
>whatever you do is higher than the thing you're protecting.

ek! attact it!

I think I remeber one of those Storm doco's where they showed ultra slomo
video of streamers coming out of powerpoles, houses, peoples heads!

"Don't worry marty! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook
at precisely eighty-eight miles per hour the instant the lightning strikes
the tower ... everything will be fine!" :)

>Bottom line:  don't worry so much about direct lightning strikes if you're
>in a house.  Definitely consider surge protection on all your indirect
>inputs.

Yeah, i've got surge protectors on all my good stuff. Needed it last night
with all the power browning/outages! *zap*

Lucas