[MLB-WIRELESS] Newsgroup

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Tue Feb 5 00:25:06 EST 2002

At 11:12 PM 4/02/2002 +1100, you wrote:

>if nobody else uses it I bloody will. Mailing list people can stay
>mailing list people. If something of general interest comes up in the
>mailing list then there's bound to be someone who peruses both who will
>crosspost. My bandwidth varies depending on my location and I'm not
>going to set up filters in three different locations, two of which where
>I don't have time to read this anyway. And I haven't found a way to
>search the mailing list (correct me if there is a way) for stuff I might
>need to know.
>It's been raised before and been shouted down before but, if people on
>the mailing list were NG people, there wouldn't be a mailing list. So
>start it and I'm sure it will be used.

I wouldn't support the idea of a newsgroup unless it was gated to the list
and run on a private server to dodge the spam (the idea of requiring
authentication was good too, many news clients support that).  Having a
separate newsgroup only serves to fragment the community and force people
to use multiple media to catch up on all of the discussion.  A gated
newsgroup as described above, OTOH, can enhance the functionality of the
mailing list.

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://www.qsl.net/vk3jed