[MLB-WIRELESS] Another n00b

Drew drew at wirelessanarchy.com
Mon Feb 4 15:22:19 EST 2002

>My first couple of questions are these:
>
>What pcmcia (in PCI/ISA adapters) cards would you recommend for us

the recommended setup would be the one that matches the card you have.
ie. orinoco adapter for orinoco card, though i've heard *most* will work
with any card.

>(I guess I need to get these 'pigtails' to connect to the unused
>Austar MDF antennas we have on our roofs

yep

>What speed cards should we be looking at, I realise theres the 11mb
>ones but I've seen the 54mb ones being touted about here and there.  Are
>cards which do this speed a reality here yet in price and cost?

the current shipping cards doing 54mb/s are 802.11a, which is 5ghz,
which sucks for what we're doing. 802.11g will also do 54mb/s, and is
2.4ghz, and is compatible with 802.11b, but they aren't out yet, and if
they were, im sure they would cost a ton.

>Currently as there are only 2 of us, we dont need to get an access point
>of any type do we?

no

>Simply get cards, hook
>up directional antennas, spend time lining up,figure linux box and away we
>go (with any luck)?

yep

>Our houses are ~1 km apart as the crow files and the area is
>pretty flat, but im concerned acout trees in the way.  Theres not a forest
>in between, but theres a couiple of good trees.  Whats peoples
>experience with this, am I wasting my time even thinking about doing this?

first thing first, you should get a good pair of binoculars or a
telescope, and see if you can see the other end of the link. if its so
dense you can't even see the other house, odds are, there's too much in
the way.