[MLB-WIRELESS] Woo Hoo 14.4Km wireless link!

Michael Carey mcarey4 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 26 16:25:21 EST 2002

Hi Everyone,
Michael from Port Lincoln SA here. You know South Australia, that funny state to the West of you...remember, we had the premiership flag for two years a while back ;-)
Anyway, enough of that, just letting you all know I have been active with wireless here. Last weekend I set up a D-Link DWL900AP+ at my works comms site overlooking Port Lincoln.  Today I have been driving around testing coverage.  The furtherest I got was 14.4 Km North West of the site.  Topology prevented me from going any further.  To make it more fun, I set up a PC at work as a shoutcast server.  No boring pings or web pages for me, 64 Kb 44.1 KHz mono MP3's, the only way to test wireless!
No photos, the boss has taken the digital camera on holidays, (I only have a cheapo 640x480 "pen"cam) but I can't complain, he let me use the comms site gratis.  I would love to put an AP up the tower in a box or even connect it to the now defunct Austar MDS antenna. Mmm, more experimenting on the way me thinks! Took some photos of the AP install, nasty pen cam quality. You can check it out at my wireless page :-
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~michaelcarey/wireless.html
Cheers,
Michael.