[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [WG-Routing] IP allocation questions / help

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Mon Dec 23 11:28:59 EST 2002

I don't think it's going to be a major problem running out of addresses, I
can't remember how many addresses there are in the range we reserved but
there were a heck of a lot. I think if every node, interested, active
whatever requested the minimum /28 then we'd still have enough to hand a
couple of thousand at least. If it becomes a problem we can always just
start using IP's outside the reserved range. If we ever do get to the point
where we are connecting to a wireless network in Europe, then we'd probably
be silly to not use ipv6 or at least some non-private space ip4 addies.

Earlier on we did discuss the routing nodes being in charge. Basically,
since they would be routing, if you weren't able to route then you'd have
to go through them anyway, so you'd have to ask whoever was routing for you
to request a block of IP's and allocate them to you. I think the current
scheme where you can request a block to use and either set up a router
yourself or get the nearest router to do it for you is probably the easiest
way to go. It gives people a bit more leeway and privacy as to what they
choose to do with their IPs, you don't have to be beholden to the nearest
router nazi :)

We don't need to be overly conservative about how many we hand out and who
to, the current scheme / policy is fine.

Matt.