[MLB-WIRELESS] ISA Adapter

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Fri Dec 20 09:43:32 EST 2002

I am guessing here.

The antennas look just fine.  At 3dBd they are probably a little lower in gain
than one would like but for indoor (short range? anyone want to guess how
far? feww 100 meters?) use they should be just fine with any equipment in teh
2400-2500 MHz range (i.e. any 802.11b equip. but not 802.11a)  At $35 each
they look like a good price just for the antennas.

I would think you would have no problems physically with the PCMCIA card
moving from the ISA card to the laptop.  All the PCI and ISA sollutions
(certainly in Modern Times(TM)) have been PCMCIA cards mounted on a slot card
with a PCMCIA - ISA/PCI bridge.  The only Q. in my mind is if the card is 2MB
standard does the laptop have appropriate drivers for the 802.11 standard. (I
am, as I said above, guessing here, but pre 802.11b there were proprietry
standards generally labeled as 802.11.  Does any one have any info on
interoperability of the various types around? I really want to know)  I guess
if you can get teh card out easily, try it and see.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?