[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Basic mesh question

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Wed Dec 18 08:22:32 EST 2002

You're not locked into using a commercial/retail access point. Sure they
have advantages but an oldish PC running linux/BSD can hold a number of
wireless cards (more than two if you want) and run nifty stuff like routing
software. There are some wireless cards that can be run in AP mode if you
like, but adhoc in my opinion is much more versatile for initially setting
up a wireless link.

There's a lot of talk about the dlink access points, but for a point to
point link there's nothing wrong with a couple of pcmcia cards in adhoc
(IBSS) or even a usb wireless device. There might be some people who argue
that you'll get better speeds over a bridged AP but your problems in this
situation are probably going to be with getting a good enough signal.

my 2c
Matt