[MLB-WIRELESS] Ok guys, here's one I reckon is worth signing, so feel free :)

wenster lollipop w_lollipop at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 15 11:18:25 EST 2002

"Protest against call for European boycott of academic
and cultural ties with Israel

On April 6, The Guardian published an open letter
signed by 120 University professors (90 from the UK)
calling for a moratorium on cultural and research
links with Israel at a European or national level
"unless and until Israel abides by UN resolutions and
opens serious peace negotiations with the
Palestinians, along the lines proposed in many peace
plans..."

We, the undersigned, hereby unequivocally condemn this
call for a European boycott of research and cultural
links with Israel.

Whereas we hold diverse political views with respect
to the past and current policies of the Israeli
government, and whereas we recognize the right of
individuals and concerned citizens in Israel and
abroad, to openly express their opinions regarding the
tragic and devastating events of recent months, we are
united in our condemnation of this unprecendented call
by European scholars to suspend European-Israeli
academic and cultural ties.

Our reasons for opposing the proposed initiative
include:
A moratorium on scientific and cultural cooperation
with any group of scholars is diametrically opposed to
the concept of freedom in the conduct of science, one
of the most basic principles of scientific ethics.
Restricting academic ties between European and Israeli
scholars to advance particular political goals
diminishes the spirit of open collaborative scientific
scholarship. Science and research become hostages to
political agendas or moral outrage and the human value
of both endeavors is belittled.
The proposed boycott is an improper and immoral act of
collective punishment, unworthy of colleagues in
European academic communities.
A unilateral boycott of Israeli academics unfairly
identifies Israel as the only party responsible for
the violent shift in Israeli-Palestinian relations and
ignores ongoing attacks against innocent Israeli
citizens. Such an one-sided perspective is contrary to
academic standards of truth-seeking.
Many European-funded programs have explicitly aimed at
enhancing scientific cooperation between Israelis,
Palestinians and Arab scholars. Joint research
projects -- for example, in water resource management,
cancer treatment, desalination, and regional disease
eradication -- have continued undeterred throughout
the months of the Intifada. Other European programs
have provided important frameworks for Middle East
scholars to meet in "neutral" settings outside the
region, to discuss academic topics of mutual interest,
and to build informal interpersonal ties, thus helping
to counter years of accumulated misunderstanding and
animosity. Freezing Israeli access to, and
participation in, such programs would neither end the
violence nor promote meaningful dialogue. It would
damage these important frameworks and undermine the
benefits to research.
Democratic academic communities around the world,
especially in Israel, consist of individuals who
openly question and challenge the world-views of
governments and their representatives. To boycott
Israeli academics would endanger the democratic values
and respect for human rights this community works hard
to foster. The moratorium would castigate the very
people whose contributions are so needed during these
troubled times.

In short, we think that the call to place a moratorium
on scientific and cultural relations between Israel
and Europe diminishes our ability and common
responsibility to promote collaboration between the
two peoples and to further the cause of knowledge,
progress and peace. "

To read more or to sign the petition, checkout

http://euroisrael.huji.ac.il/

For those not currently affiliated with a "tertiary"
institution, or even (the shock! the horror!) without
that little bit of paper known as a 'degree' or hisher
school certificate, if you would like to sign the
petition, perhaps put "The Universal Institute of
Generalised Studies, Australia", or some such.

I am slightly annoyed that the petition seems to be
oriented towards 'academics' only, although it feels
good to for once be treated as someone 'in the world'
rather than the ususal 'Why don't you get into *the
real world*'. (!)

I feel it would have been appropriate to provide two
lists which could be signed - one for those who
consider themselves to be "practising" academics with
current 'university' ties, and another for those who
fully support the petition, but who are otherwise
occupied.
This way it is clear that on the one hand that since
it is a call for an "academic" boycott, that it is
first and primarily those who consider themselves
'academics' who must take responsibility for it, but
on the other hand, it also allows the many many others
who may see this is an important and  relevant issue
to provide support. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

lmkwyt   (let me know what you think)

Wendy

I am sending a comment to this effect to the helpful
"comments and letters of support" link. (hehe dunno
where I would send a letter of dis-support, but hey!)

=====
-the lord is my shepherd, I shall not want - aum namah shivayam -
allah akhbar -
          - in memoriam for the people of all nations killed in Bali -

http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
- Send your seasons greetings online this year!