[MLB-WIRELESS] amps

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Fri Dec 13 12:32:11 EST 2002

Actually, rik, even then, a better solution is to drop the power and increase
the efficiency of the antenna. (length of cable aside)

The only time I can see an amp being useful is if you have the best antenna
you can afford already, running at the max output of the card and you are
still below the legal output.  You will not gain any bandwidth (S2N stays the
same) but you will gain distance... (maybe?  I suppose it depends on why the
link failure occurs.  maybe you will drop bandwidth to gain distance?)

Anyhoo, in regular use, appropriate antenna choice is definitely better.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?