[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 11/1 2/2002

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Fri Dec 13 11:14:58 EST 2002

Hi all,

Nice summary of the ins and outs of optimal antenna design, evilbunny.

(On the other hand, me thinks you tread a little heavily on peoples toes...)

I have mentioned befor that I have a pair of old WaveLAN cards (650mW - 2Mb/s)
that even with 15 m of loss will still exceed 4mW with about an 8 - 10 dBi
omni.  The cards have a nominal range of 35 km, which has got to break some
rules, surely....
WHat I would really like to do is sent the Rx to the Omni and have the Tx come
in on a 24dBi conifer... and the same setup at the other end.  this way I
will have a true duplex (4Mb/s) low noise, high sensitivity long distance
short-cut link (likely at this stage to a friends place in the Dandenongs...
we shall see. I am sure I will get some offers...)

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?  The only way I can see easily is to
use 4 cards and I only have 2 (fine for my end, but these are not your common
wireless card and run the older proprietry standard 802.11)

I will also have to dig into the electronics, etc and see if I can reduce the
power output...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?