[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 11/1 2/2002

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Thu Dec 12 17:53:24 EST 2002

Hello Craig,

CS> how does staying *within* legal limits qualify as "cowboy" behaviour?
CS> we all know what the legal limit is, nobody's suggesting that we can or
CS> should use amplifiers to exceed that limit.

Take a read of some of the submissions to the broadband inquiry about
community groups by commercial operators...

CS> as long as (card + amp - cable loss + antenna gain) add up to 4W EIRP or
CS> less, what's the problem?

If you don't need the added output why increase for the hell of it?

CS> the better the signal i can get from point A to point B, the higher the
CS> bandwidth - if increasing the output power gets me 5 or 11 or even
CS> 22Mbps rather than 1 or 2Mbps, then what's wrong with that?

What's wrong is if you have 1000x more signal then needed to achieve
that result, resulting in anyone past your antenna and desired range
getting increased amount of noise... Then them sticking up an amp and
doing likewise to you, and raising your noise floor till your link is
again useless...

CS> what's the difference between a) using a 500mW card or AP (e.g. some of
CS> the Demarc units) and b) using a 30mW card or AP plus a 500mW amp?

Amps usually increases the noise and signal alike, the card is able to
discriminate against noise and signal without amplifying both
indiscriminately...

CS> why are high gain antennas OK, but amplifiers taboo?

high gain antenna reduce the beamwidth of signal sent out...

eg a 15 dBi omni has a beam with of about 3 degrees from memory, where
as a 6dBi omni with amp outputting at 4W will have a much bigger
pattern of output cause much more interference to others that you
either didn't foresee, or at a latter date.

So the latter person can't get his full 22Mbits, so he goes and uses
an amp with the same justification, then someone he's interfering with
does likewise sooner or later the whole spectrum is swamped by the use
of amplifiers and is useless, so people move on to 5.8Ghz range where
the limit is only 1W with greater attenuation due to higher frequency...

CS> i wasn't aware previously that this was one of your buttons, but now i'm
CS> beginning to think you're a bit obsessed with the topic and can't
CS> respond rationally when you see the word 'amplifier'.

No, my reasons against them are quite sound, and if you don't
understand the full situation you most definitely should think twice
before installing one as to the consequences of using them...

As stated before, an amplifier should be the last resort to overcoming
problems with links, not the first...

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                            mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com