[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 11/1 2/2002

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Dec 12 17:43:42 EST 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 04:12:48PM +1100, evilbunny wrote:
> D> yes, ok, alright, we all know amps are evil, can we stop with the
> D> lecturing every single time the word amp is said on the list?
>
> Fine if you'd rather people on this list look like the cowboys some
> companies are reporting to the government, then be my guest and go
> right ahead... me personally, I'm trying to be a little responsible to
> a subject that gives those same companies leverage against us...

how does staying *within* legal limits qualify as "cowboy" behaviour?
we all know what the legal limit is, nobody's suggesting that we can or
should use amplifiers to exceed that limit.

as long as (card + amp - cable loss + antenna gain) add up to 4W EIRP or
less, what's the problem?

the better the signal i can get from point A to point B, the higher the
bandwidth - if increasing the output power gets me 5 or 11 or even
22Mbps rather than 1 or 2Mbps, then what's wrong with that?

please explain:

what's the difference between a) using a 500mW card or AP (e.g. some of
the Demarc units) and b) using a 30mW card or AP plus a 500mW amp?

why are high gain antennas OK, but amplifiers taboo?

i wasn't aware previously that this was one of your buttons, but now i'm
beginning to think you're a bit obsessed with the topic and can't
respond rationally when you see the word 'amplifier'.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.