[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 11/1 2/2002

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Dec 12 15:30:31 EST 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 10:19:40AM +1100, Tony Langdon wrote:
> > my point was that they don't increase the output *BY* 1 Amp.  they change
> > it *TO* 1 Amp regardless of the input signal strength.  i.e. it's *not*
> > cumulative with the original Tx power.
>
> Come on guys, let's at least get the termonoligy right! :-)  For a start,
> power is measured in Watts, not Amps.  Current consumption is measured in
> amps (more correctly called Amperes).

yep, i noticed after i sent the message that i said 1 Amp when i should have
said 1 Watt.

(btw, speaking of "termonoligy", it's "terminology" :-)

> At this point, we need someone who actually knows specifically about 802.11b
> amplifiers.

i don't claim to know much at all about them.  i was only reporting what i'd
discovered by searching with google, and what i'd been told by someone who has
one.

i commented because i had spent a few hours searching for wifi amps on google a
few days ago.  all of the ones i saw were linear amps.

for example:

http://www.ssbusa.com/wireless.html           500mW model
                                              (also 6W & 50W military models)

http://www.raylink.com/amplifier.htm          250mW, 400mW, and 500mW models

http://www.rf-solutions.com/products_data.htm  various models

at $700-$800 AUD and up, i'm not very interested in amps....but at the price
vak mentioned (~$250 AUD) or less, i'd be quite interested - it seems a
reasonably cheap way of improving signal strength for cheap access points.

> Secondly, where you place the amplifier will have a big impact.  If it has a
> receive preamplifier, then locating it as close to the antenna as possible
> means that the receive signal gets amplified before the lossy coax.

that's basically what i figured.  an amp will amplify noise as well as signal,
so you have to amplify it as early as possible.

> So on the question of receive improvement, the true answer is "it depends".
> :)

that's cheating.  that's the true answer for everything!

:-)

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>