[MLB-WIRELESS] [TIB] A new offer has been added to TIB - 11/12/2002

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Thu Dec 12 09:00:38 EST 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:58:21PM +1100, evilbunny wrote:
> CS> none of the amps i've seen (while searching the net) increase the output
> CS> by 1A, they bump it up to 1A regardless of the input Tx power.
>
> CS> so, 1000mA would be, what, about 26dBm?  plus e.g. an 8dbi antenna ~=
> CS> 34dBm, less approx 1-2dB for the pigtail & connectors.
>
> You haven't looked very hard then... There are fixed TX amps that most
> certainly can and do bump the output over 30dBm... I've seen 4 and 10W
> amps, classified for military and export use only...

you missed my point.

my point was that they don't increase the output *BY* 1 Amp.  they
change it *TO* 1 Amp regardless of the input signal strength.  i.e. it's
*not* cumulative with the original Tx power.

i've seen 500mW versions and 1A versions, and higher, i've seen variable
power models (e.g. switchable from 250mw to 2A) - and they all do the
same thing...they increase the output signal *TO* the set power level.

> CS> most of them also effectively increased the Rx sensitivity.
>
> No, they amplify the signal and noise alike... They don't increase
> sensitivity, if anything they reduce it due to increased noise...

some claimed to increase sensitivity.  whether that's truth or marketing
lie is something that testing would tell.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.