[MLB-WIRELESS] thanks for a simply brilliant article...

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Dec 11 15:03:39 EST 2002

Hi Michael

the key word here is laptop.

pccard_enable="No" by default on non-laptops.

also, several of us have encountered exactly the problems listed in the
article...

and it is exactly because you want to run NAT/IPFW/DHCP etc that you do a
custom kernel compile.

So on that basis, I cannot see the criticism of the article as being valid.
Also consider the audience... sys admin magazine!!!

still, you are entitled to your opinion.

do you have a better article you would like to point people to (freeBSD +
firewall + AP)???

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 01:48 pm, Michael Borthwick wrote:
> Rowan Crowe wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, paul van den bergen wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Super big thanks to Matt Peirce for pointing me to this article ...
> > >
> > > http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7121/sam0205a/sam0205a.htm
>
> I found that article misleading and a complete waste time. You need to do
> virtually nothing it suggests in order to get wireless FreeBSD running on a
> laptop. You certainly don't need to compile a custom kernel (unless you
> want to run NAT/DHCP). And the frigging with irq, iomems does not seem to
> be necessary.
>
> For a start just try performing a vanilla install of FreeBSD 4.5 +, plug in
> a radio, set an IP address and netmask for wi0 - it worked for me on both
> Toshiba 440CDT's

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?