[MLB-WIRELESS] Killer wireless cards...

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Mon Dec 9 11:16:41 EST 2002

Hey All,

On the note of these Wireless Cards o' Death, the following is an update
to my situation.

Firstly, I still haven't solved the problem, as soon as I insert the
card, the entire PC freezes (after making all the right beeps), the
instant I take it out, it's fine again.

So far, on suggestion from various people (thanks!) and of my own doing
I have:
 - Tried booting with the card inserted
 - Swapped around PCI slots
 - Reset my ESCD data
 - Tried it with/without a wired network card in the box
 - Installed the VIA 4 in 1 drivers
 - Tried multiple different Orinoco/Roamabout cards
 - Uninstalled/reinstalled drivers as best I can (for PCMCIA/Win2k)
 - Tried forcing IRQs (no resources are manually configureable)

The only things I can think of that I haven't tried are:
 - BIOS update
 - Some sort of updated Ricoh drivers

However - I tend to this it's not the Ricoh card that's the problem
per-say. As mentioned in my previous email, it works fine with the Win2k
standard drivers (you just can't do anything useful) - it's only the
Orinoco/Roamabout drivers that seem to kill it - to be precise,
activating the card via the client manager.

Any more ideas/suggestions are welcome (I seem to remember that someone
mentioned they'd fixed it, but can't remember how - if they could think
even harder, that would be great ;)

I've tried looking through the mail archive and my own mail archive with
not much success, so if anyone has any flashes of brilliance, it would
be most appreciated.

Cheers (and thanks),

	Fenn.