[MLB-WIRELESS] Obtaining longitude and latitude from Melway m aps (instructions)

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Wed Dec 4 20:34:23 EST 2002

All:

>  > I have posted instructions to the Wiki on how to obtain
>>  decimal geographic
>>  coordinates (longitude and latitude) from Melway street directories.
>
>Good idea.  Does it also compensate for the different datums that are in
>use?  If not, there can be an up to 200m error when using a Melway map. :)

No, an independent check showed that this method works to reasonable
accuracy, to ten metres, say. Remember that we are talking about the
RED AMG grid on the Melway maps, not their blue grid.  Someone else
pointed out that there is a coordinate finder on locfinder but the
Automatic and Manual links didn't work in my browser, Opera 6.05,
hence the instructions on the Wiki.

However, they DID work with a different browser so are probably
unnecessary.  I will add instructions for converting from longitude
and latitude to the AMG grid on Melway maps so people can plot the
locations of the nearest nodes.

Regards,
Hedley
Hedley Finger
    User documentation and technical writing
    Adobe(R) Certified Expert, FrameMaker 5.5
Hand Holding Projects Pty Ltd   ABN 98 007 418 153
    Technical  consultancy for electronic publishing
    28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
    Tel +61 3 9809 1229   Mobile +61 412 461 558
    E-mail mailto:hfinger at handholding.com.au