[MLB-WIRELESS] Killer wireless cards...

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Wed Dec 4 11:52:44 EST 2002

Hi All,

No, sorry guys, this email isn't about some new "Killer" wireless card
that will revolutionize the wireless world, shutdown Telstra and put
George W Bush out of action, but rather about a weird problem I'm
experiencing (yay, another).

Usually, I battle these things out myself - but then again, usually I
don't have a mailing list full of people trying to do the same sort of
things as me :)

Ok, I'll make it short and sweet: New PC, AthlonXP, VIA chipset (KT266?
or something), Ricoh cradle.

PC works absolutely fine (surprisingly so for a newly put together toy)
and is running Windows 2000. Ricoh cradle is detected and installed
fine, no resource conflicts.

If you install a wireless card (either genuine orinoco or roamabout), it
detects and installs the default win2k drivers. The cradle goes BEEP,
the card lights up, and starts flashing/etc. Though, as people most
likely know, the win2k default drivers are woeful and don't support WEP
and a whole lot of other stuff.

Hence, I install the real drivers (either orinoco or enterasys for the
respective cards), but as soon as I setup a profile, the PC freezes
absolutely dead (which is odd for Win2K).

If I pop out the card, it instantly comes to life. Put it back in -
dead.

Painful to say the least. This is the first time I've used Win2K with
wireless (I'm generally a Linux man with wireless stuff), but I've had a
fair bit of experience with Win* and this has stumpted me.

I can't examine the resources once the card is in (in case it's
conflicting with something nasty like the PCI bus or worse) as the PC
freezes when the card is in.

It's definately related to the driver (or how the driver is controlling
the card) as it successfully activated the card with the build in win2k
drivers. Did a search on google for this sort of problem with very
little success.

Any ideas/suggestions/abuse is welcome :)

Thanks heaps,

	Fenn.