[MLB-WIRELESS] Obtaining longitude and latitude from Melway maps (instructions)

hedley_finger at myob.com.au hedley_finger at myob.com.au
Mon Dec 2 14:52:56 EST 2002

I have posted instructions to the Wiki on how to obtain decimal geographic
coordinates (longitude and latitude) from Melway street directories.

Melway maps include the Australian Mapping Grid (AMG) as fine red lines at
1 km intervals.  But locfinder requires long. and lat. to display your node
location.  These instructions show you how to locate your position on the
AMG and then calculate long. and lat. for locfinder.

See
<http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/wiki/?FAQ%20Connecting%20to%20the%20Network>.

At a later time, I will add instructions for converting long. and lat. to
AMG easting and northing coordinates so that you can plot the location of
nodes near you onto a Melway map.  Then I will include instructions for
determining the bearing from your location to another node in order to aim
directional antennae.

Hope all this is of use to someone!  8^)

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
    User documentation and technical writing