[MLB-WIRELESS] names of creeks

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Mon Dec 2 09:59:19 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:22:51AM +1100, Tony Langdon wrote:
> > Darebin Creek to the east and Moonee Ponds Creek to the west.
> >
> > Darebin & Merri are nice short names.  Moonee Ponds is a bit of a
> > mouthful.
>
> Moonee Ponds Creek actually runs along the border of "Merri" and the
> one to the left.  The most appropriate name for that one would be
> "Maribyrnong".

agreed.

> However, one problem I see with the current boundaries involves the
> Moonee Ponds Creek.  Nodes along this area will find it easier to
> communicate with those in the neighbouring region than those in their
> own region, because of the ridges blocking them (the boundary is in a
> valley, which is not a good place to have it - ridge lines would be a
> better lace for boundaries, because they provide natural barriers to
> help define regions).

yep, that makes sense.  it also looks like that's the way James did it -
the creeks look to be roughly in the center of those 3 zones, not at the
boundaries.

one of the things i think we need is topological data at the same scale
as the map data we have.  that, along with a mast-height field in the
nodemap, would help calculate LOS.

also useful would be direction and arc fields for each antenna, both in
degrees.  LOS isn't much use if the antenna you can 'see' is a
directional pointing away from you.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>