[MLB-WIRELESS] LILO bug aka: ISA adaptor for Wl110

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Mon Aug 26 23:38:51 EST 2002

> Mine works, just that I have to boot from a floppy all the time to get it
> to work or I get a string of "40404040404040404040404040..." errors
> booting from the HDD using a 2.4.x kernel. The 2.2.x kernels work okay.
> - Barry

As I understand, the problem stems from LILO not writing back to the MBR
correctly when it doesn't detect a change in the disk config.

Quick work around:
1. Boot from a Windows 98 System Disk and run "fdisk /mbr".
2. Boot from your linux boot floppy and re-run LILO.

Permanent fix:
Switch to GRUB - a much cleaner and more elegant boot loader, an example of
good design principles.

Regards,
Tyson.

   Tyson at wireless.org.au