[MLB-WIRELESS] what distro for gateway.

Brendan Hiley Pro at ProFX.net
Sun Aug 25 15:52:26 EST 2002

You want to put a 1.2GHz CPU and 256MB of DDR SDRAM in a box that will sit
98% idle?

That is fsckin nuts :)

Don't use Redhat 7, use 7.3 if you really must.

If I hard that hardware and was in a position to run an access
point/fileserver/game server it would be running FreeBSD.

-ProFX

jv at teragen.com.au
Sent by: owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
08/25/2002 03:29 PM

        To:     melbwireless at wireless.org.au
        cc:
        Subject:        [MLB-WIRELESS] what distro for gateway.

ok. I now know what system Im building and want to know the best distro
for
my needs.

System
AMD 1.2 /256DDR / MSI mobo with KT266 chipset/Rihcoh PCI cradles (2)/
Roamabout (2) / 8139 NIC

Perpose. mWireless AP / Fileserver / gmae server (mybe)

My skill in  *nix: Very limited. Can work my way around to edit .conf
files as
needed but know little more than that.

I work in a workplace that runs RH7 servers and can talk to the techs
there
anytime about problems and also get any update cd's needed (Tho im still
on
netstats so thats not soo important).

Given these details what would my best choice be for a distro to run well
as a
mWireless AP ?