[MLB-WIRELESS] hilltop BSS box with lotsa PCMCIA Slots - How ? Where?

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Sat Aug 24 06:02:24 EST 2002

Donovan Baarda wrote:

Hi Don,

[snip, reformat]

>Build your own?
>http://www.via.com.tw/en/VInternet/mini_itx.jsp
>http://www.mini-itx.com/
>[....]  you can get these for under A$250, and that includes everything including the CPU. The other important thing is Linux drivers exist for all the onboard peripherals.
>
>The hard part would be 4 PCMCIA slots.

Cheap, yes.  but what if I want to add *another* 4 pcmcia slots...  8-/

>I _think_ you can get 4xPCMCIA PCI
>cards, (2x2 at rear, another 2x2 at front via ribbon). You can also get
>2xPCI risers for the single PCI on the MB, so you can put two 2xPCMCI PCI
>cards in if you need to.

anyone got a URL or a part number/manufacturer for these ?

>I personaly love ARM processors. However, probably the only boards you could
>get using this processor would be eBay Netwinders, or development kits.
>Development kits can sometimes be got at a bargain, provided you can
>convince someone who makes them you are a serious developer considering
>using 1000's of them. The peripherals available on a Developers kit will
>probably be more targeting DSP applications, so you might get a built in
>PCMCIA, but you'd probably have to design your own peripherals board to add
>anything else.

Yeah, nice.  But adding lots of network devices ??

> You _could_ go down the PC104 path. [....] ideal for embedded systems. _However_, you > will pay heaps for them (think normal PC x 10)

Thanks for that.  This gear has got to be the ultimate.  <wince>  10x
 foo...

>If you find anything cool, let us all know :-)

Only the PC/104 gear..  Picture a mini rack with PCMCIA wireless cards
stacked vertically - as close together as you can  get.

thanks,
Steve