[MLB-WIRELESS] How to repair a Bios or two

Michael Tomlinson tomlinso at netspace.net.au
Fri Aug 23 12:27:57 EST 2002

I have done the hot-swap trick.  You don't even have to have an identical
motherboard....
I used this program:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pvanleeuwen/ufhome.htm

It can flash almost any BIOS chip on almost any motherboard.  I was able to
hot-flash my mates A7V133 BIOS chip in my old Pentium Pro, (yup, one is
athlon, one intel... it really doesn't matter!) after an update that went
bad when the DMI table got corrupted.  (You get to 'updating dmi...' and the
machine locks.)

The key is the BIOS get's read when the machine boots, but after that it's
not needed, so you can pull it out safely.  (I must admit my hand shook like
hell holding the chip extractor!)
So you have a working machine booted to DOS with the uniflash proggie ready
to go, and you put the dead BIOS chip in it, flash it, and then put it back
in the dead machine, turn it on, and there you go...