[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless Security Article

David Craker dncraker at netconnect.com.au
Wed Aug 21 19:33:09 EST 2002

APPLIANCES, STANDARDS BOOST WLAN SECURITY | by Robert L. Scheier

Last October in a previous wireless LAN security Roundup, we saw a fairly bleak picture.
 At that time, virtual private networks (VPNs) were the best way to fix the well-known
vulnerabilities in the Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP), which guards most wireless
LANs. But VPNs cost as much as $1,500 per wireless access point (AP) and often
forced you to lock yourself into one vendor's gear.

Since then, we've seen progress on both the product and standards fronts. It now costs
as little as $200 to link an AP to an existing VPN using wireless security "appliances"
from the likes of Bluesocket Inc., ReefEdge Inc. and SMC Networks Inc.

 Leading vendors such as Cisco Systems Inc. and Microsoft are already supporting
beefed-up encryption and authentication standards that close some of the holes in WEP.

http://www.searchSecurity.com/tip/1,289483,sid14_gci840261,00.html

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid14_gci776004,00.html