[MLB-WIRELESS] ip allocation system

Michael Tomlinson tomlinso at netspace.net.au
Wed Aug 21 13:51:20 EST 2002

Well I've been wondering about this too; we've got quite a few nodes coming
up here in wantirna area, it seems crazy to have a dozen different
operational networks that are all going to have to change their
IP's/netmasks/etc once they join the larger mesh.  Then you have to
reconfigure your firewalls, update your hosts files, etc. etc.
Even if we just had an excel spreadsheet that somebody could maintain, and
emailed them to get a range, specifying if we were an access point or just a
single node, and how many IP's we wanted, that at least would get us
started....  I'm keen to get it happening.  I'll even volunteer to maintain
it for a few months until we can get something more automatic happening...!!
Although it would clearly be better to have an automated system set up from
the start.  I can program, and use basic HTML... what would be needed to set
up the system?  I'm guessing we could host it on the MW server.  All that
would be needed is a simple back-end database and a form interface to fill
in, and it could generate the IP range for you and store it in the database.
I know the basics of TCP/IP but I'm not sure what the routing group are
currently thinking with regards to getting this happening.
I'd like to help get this started if possible.
>It is in the works, but the small number of routing/addressing volunteers
have had very little spare time recently.