[MLB-WIRELESS] introduction - first posting

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Wed Aug 21 12:02:10 EST 2002

Hi Guys.

I'm in Enzed, and I'm researching a wireless solution for my local area.
 So I'll be asking lots of really dumb questions here for a while.  ;-)

My reasons for wireless ;

1.) High-speed access to the Internet.

2.) umm...  8-/

There's no ADSL where I live, and Telecon says "there aint gonna be
either."   I can buy off-peak 2MBit/Sec access to the 'Net for quite
cheap (cheaper than a DSL connection) and they're happy to put a dish on
their tower and talk to my P-to-P to my AP.  (see I know some jargon
already.  ;-)

There's a 1500 ft mountain 15KM LOS from here with reasonable fres
clearance if I use a highish pole.  There are 2 approachable (and one
hostile) site owners on the hill and I favour my chances of getting
tower space.

Yes, I could P-t-P to the bandwidth supplier, but there isn't a LOS path
*at all*.  (flat terrain, 10KM, trees, both sites at sea level.)

So, I want to look at P-t-P to the mountain site, and then
P-t-multipoint for the connecting sites.

I can see how to use a Linux firewall box, a WiFi Card, pig-tail, coax,
2.4GHz feed, and a dish, to talk in P-t-P mode to the Mountain site -
with the same gear (in reverse) on the hilltop site.

I have found cheap (new) dishes and feeds for 2.4GHz and 5GHz (hint: the
Amatuer Satellite service uses these frequencies..)  so the Antenna
hardware is not an issue.  I can find lots of locally supplied 11b and
11a PCI and PCMCIA bits at reasonable prices.  CMOS Linux based boxen to
be tower-mounted is not a problem.

I understand Linux' stuff well, like DHCPd, TFTP-booting diskless boxes
etc, so please don't spare the boffin-speak.  I am utterly unfamiliar with
anything 802.11x, never laid eyes on it.   8-/   I accept the best way
to learn would be go buy some.

 From there, I am in the dark.  I can imagine the Mountains' AP would
probably have a 90degree Patch antenna, and the connectees would use a
little dish of some sort.

So;  to start the dumb questions rolling ;

How many users can connect to the AP when the AP is just *one*
card/antenna  ?

What routing requirements there are between the WiFi Cards themselves..
 Is this still at the WiFi level, or are we up the TCP/IP level yet?

If my posting is O/T in this forum, please advise.

regards to All.
Steve