[MLB-WIRELESS] Anacdote warning (was Why the big ...)

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Mon Aug 19 12:44:12 EST 2002

"quiet everybody, an old man is about to tell a story..." :-)

vak wrote:

>4/800 = 0.00571 % failure rate.

it has been common policy for a lot of hardware manufacturers to specify
a maximum failure rate, usually specified as n/m, where n is say 3 and m
is say 10000.  A story went around about a particular PCB manufacturer
in the states who landed a job for a japanese 'X' manufacturer ('X'
being hard disks, I think - this detail lending credibility to my story
:-)).  whether due to translation issues or tersness of documentation
the order was specified as delivery of 10000 units of which 3 will not
work.  as the CEO was going to be in Japan the week the delivery would
arrive on other business, he decided to call in and hand over the three
broken cards to the CEO personally.... :-)

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC, RMIT University
paul at serc.rmit.edu.au