[MLB-WIRELESS] Why the big price difference on PCMCIA 802.11b cards?

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Mon Aug 19 09:32:30 EST 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 05:42:15PM +1000, Tyson Clugg wrote:
> $60 cards
> =======
> Why so cheap?  Because the cards are liquidated stock.

I have a feeling the original question was hinting at "what, if any, are the
technical limitations of these cards, and is there _any_ reasons to buy
something more expensive".

I understand these cards are fine, but they don't support "AP mode" and they
require a "risky" upgrade to do 128bit WEP (as outlined on the webpage with
the offer).

Neither of these really matter, as only the very brave are trying to make "AP
mode" work on any card, and WEP stands for "Waste of Embedded Processing".

The only reason I can think of to buy something different is if you wanted
to write drivers for AP mode. If you want to do this then probably something
prism2 based is what you'd want.

ABO: finger abo at minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key