[MLB-WIRELESS] *My* side of the antenna

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Thu Aug 15 00:44:07 EST 2002

K, much discussion has gone into how the wider network will be built. But
how the hell do I build on my side of the antenna?

I have a NAT/dhcp server that has a samba file share that is connected to
the Internet and several internal clients. I have a NAT/dhcp wireless
gateway that also has a Samba
share. I want to be able to move data between the Samba shares, but I
don't want anyone to have open access to the Internet server's samba
share. I want to tunnel between the Internet server and wlan
with ssh. I want to authenticate trusted users connecting to the wlan, and
let others freely use whatever
other services are available on just the wlan.

It seems I'm going to need 10.x.x.x for the wlan looking out. Looking in
will need to be 192.168.x.x.
Do I need to do wlan --> dmz --> server?
Can I do wlan --> server and hope that my Internet account will
not get raped?
Do I need to install another NIC on the server or just plug wlan into the
 hub?
What's the best way to route? What's the best way to authenticate? Does
anyone have a wlan-specific iptables script?

I don't want to send Internet packets out over the wlan, and I want to
protect my side of the connection. Anyone given any thought to this?
Suggestions?

Worth a wiki?
- Barry

--