[MLB-WIRELESS] OT autonomous organisation discussion night, melb

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 13 05:40:10 EST 2002

Irene warehouse being the location of the SpaceStation, and The Paper

>To: BarrelfullofMonkeys at yahoogroups.com
>From: Kath Williamson <bigk at csee.uq.edu.au>
>Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:35:55 +1000 (EST)
>Subject: [BarrelfullofMonkeys] 'social terrain' discussion night, melb
>

>Call out by Tall Paul ...
>
>Word on the mean streets of Melbourne is that there is growing interest in
>the meteoric rise of autonomous organising and autonomist politics in
>general. Problem is, what the hell does it all mean? From the Croft
>Institute to the Richmond cheer squad, serious young people are turning on
>to autonomy in untold numbers.
>
>Not to be outdone by Sydney, a group of Melbourne activists have decided to
>host a forum at the Irene Warehouse, 5 Pitt St Brunswick East on Friday the
>23rd of August at 7.00pm to discuss these pressing issues. The idea for a
>discussion night was mainly prompted by the vigorous and robust debate
>generated on the Melbourne Indymedia list over an article on autonomous
>organising.
>
>http://melbourne.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=26875&group=webcast
>
>Clearly, there is an urgent need for people who subscribe to the ideals of
>anti authoritarian politics to come together and try and make links and find
>common ground. This forum seeks to precipitate such a move.
>
>To facilitate discussion we could have short speeches about various
>'autonomous' movements or personalities such as, but not limited to;
>
>1. Pirates
>2. Witches and witchcraft
>3. Heretical Christian movements such as the Brethren of the Free spirit,
>the Ranters and Anabaptists
>4. The Sans Cullottes and Enrages
>5. The Paris Commune
>6. Anarchism
>7. Marxism
>8. Workers Council experiences i.e Bavarian Soviet, Hungary 56.
>9. Russian Revolution
>10.Paris, May 68
>11. Italian Hot Autumn
>12. Rise of Squatting in Europe
>13. Punk
>14. Feminism
>15. Gay Liberation
>16. Identity Politics
>17. "Lifestylism"
>18. Zapatistas
>19. Riots and insurrections
>20. Student Politics
>21. Situationists
>22. Dada
>23. Surrealism
>24. Rock and Roll
>25. Hip Hop
>26. Gangsta culture
>
>Probably the biggest bone of contention is between those who see autonomy as
>being the right to organise separately and independently and those who view
>autonomy as being a political method of organising based on non hierachic
>models, but with a special emphasis on the working class and the social
>factories such as the dole queues and entertainment morgues such as shopping
>centres and 'leisure precincts'.

> [...]

David Clae Gason, Secretary, Melbourne Wireless
mailto:secretary at wireless.org.au  http://wireless.org.au

"God picks up the reed-flute world and blows.  Each note is a need
coming through one of us,
a passion, a longing-pain. Remember the lips where the wind-breath
originated, and let your
note be clear. Don't try to end it. BE YOUR NOTE."	-Rumi, The Mathnawi