[MLB-WIRELESS] Anyone for VoIP at the next meet?

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon Aug 12 12:50:16 EST 2002

Just for something different to do, does anyone want to play VoIP at the
next Melbourne Wireless meeting?

There are a couple of packages around, but the one I'd suggest is Speak
Freely, for the following reasons:

1.  It's open source (yay!)

2.  It comes in UNIX (not just Linux) and Windows flavours.  Will be
interesting to see how it goes on FreeBSD and Mac OS X.

3.  It's free (Windows version is GPL, UNIX is public domain).

4.  Supports multicast

5.  Comes with its own conference, directory and echo server software (not
dependent on any outside infrastructure).

6.  Highly configurable.

7.  UNIX version is commandline driven, no need to load X.

8.  Support is in house (I use a slightly modified form of the UNIX version
all the time, and have spent the last week hacking control scripts for it).

For more info, http://www.speakfreely.org has the Windows version.  The UNIX
version can be found at http://www.fourmilab.ch/speakfree/unix/.

Other alternatives include NetMeeting/GnomeMeeting (Windows/Linux, H323
compliant).  Other alternatives?

Who's for a wireless voice network?  I may even arrange for some external
audio to be piped into the network...  If we run multicast, the bandwidth
will scale (anyone got a multicast capable router with two wireless cards in
it for demo purposes?).

---
Outgoing mail ihas been scanned for Viruses