[MLB-WIRELESS] WL200 and redhat 7.3 howto

Robert Tchia robert.tchia at palantir.com.au
Fri Aug 9 18:59:04 EST 2002

Mike,

Sorry if I am telling you to suck egg.
What I did was recompile my kernel with no PCMCIA.

I cd to my source dir (eg. /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3)
Edit the Makefile (eg. run "Vi Makefile") and in the file 4th line down
"EXTRAVERSION = -3custom". Remove the word custom so it is "EXTRAVERSION
= -3" (without quotes). Save it and return to source dir.

Run "make menuconfig" (or you can use "make xconfig") and in the Main
menu.
Select "General setup --->"
Select "PCMCIA/CardBus support --->" in the next screen
Select "<M> PCMCIA/CardBus support" and remove * or M in the < > so that
it is blank.

Return to Main menu.
Select "Network device support --->"
In the Network device support menu scroll down and
Select "Wireless LAN (non-hamradio) --->"
In the wireless LAN (non-hamradio) menu
Ensure "[*] Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)is selected" by having a * in the
[ ]
Un-select all other devices list below "Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)"

Exit and save config.

Run "make dep"
Run "make clean"
Run "make bzImage-2002-08-09" (or what ever name you what to call it)

When finished make image time to test boot.
If you are using grub then edit /boot/grub/grub.conf
Enter the following below the existing boot info. Delect the existing
Title until you know this new kernel is booting ok.

Title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3 mykernel) (you can put any title here)
	  root (hd0,0) (if different then copy existing))
	  kernel /bzImage-2202-08-09 ro root=/dev/hda3 (if different
copy exiting but change the image name to the new image). Save change
and test boot.

Once you have tested boot ok. Return to the source dir and do the
following...

Run "make modules"
Run "make modules_install"

Reboot again to test.

Then get latest pcmcia-cs package from http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net.
Unpack it.

Download latest hostap package from http://hostap.epitest.fi and unpack
it. Copy all the files and directories in /Prism2-2002-05-19/driver to
root or pcmcia source dir

Eg. "cp -a /usr/src/Prism2-2002-05-19/driver/* /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.2.0

This is if you want to compile Orinoco driver as well...
Download lates Orinoco package from
http://ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/ and unpack it. Copy all .c and
.h files to ../pcmcia-cs-3.2.0/wireless

Eg. cp -a /usr/src/Orinoco-0.12b/*.c /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.2.0/wireless

Cd to pcmcia-cs source dir (eg. "cd /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.2.0")
Run "make config" (you might have to tell it your kernel source dir)
it's safe to use default for other options.
Run "make all" then
Run "make install"

If you want more info look here
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.2

Edit /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and Add this line to it.

PCIC_OPTS='irq_mode=1'

If you have installed ricoh chipset pci cradle and enterasys card as
well then add this.

PCIC_OPTS='irq_mode=1 irq_list=0'

Reboot and the driver should load.

iwconfig and ifconfig should show the wlan0 interface

mod this file to set wlan0 and other interface ip, netmask etc
/etc/pcmcia/network.opts

mod this file to set wlan0 and other wireless interface to a specific
settings (eg. channel, essid, etc)
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts

Sorry for the bed English and hope it is easy enough to follow. If I
have missed or have mistake please correct me. Please be gentle as I am
a newbie to linux ;-)

Cheers
Rob

P.S. I am still trying to get enterasys and wl200 to work in the same
box with hostap and Orinoco drivers.