[MLB-WIRELESS] roamabout pcmcia on debian 2.4.18?

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Fri Aug 9 15:31:08 EST 2002

> hi - new to the list. keen to setup a node outside my studio
> in the CBD- but more about that later...

Whereabouts in the CBD?

> i'm trying to setup the enterasys roamabout DS pcmcia card on
> my debian kernel 2.4.18 lappie and having a hard time
> diagnosing which driver to use.. the manufacturer drivers
> compile badly against my cardbus.. anyone else here
> got it up and running? runs fine under xp, though the windows
> network and security tools aren't as useful for me.

I believe the orinico driver is the best one to use.  The cards will need to
be updated to firmware version 6.06, which is an easy operation if you have
Windows (or alternatively, there's usually someone at a monthly meeting who
can do them - I did them last month :) ).

> i'm asking this support Q here as the incredible bulk is
> selling them.. so i imagined a few ppl on this list might be
> using them..

I'm using a few of them, 2 under Linux, though I compiled the manufacturer's
drivers.  However, they do require a lot of hacking around to compile for a
modern distribution.  Best to try and get the Orinoco drivers working with
them.

---
Outgoing mail ihas been scanned for Viruses

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain