[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Critical Systems & ISM

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Mon Aug 5 13:11:59 EST 2002

Funny this should come up, because I did some testing last week with this.

Using netstumbler on a enterasys card with an average connection to an AP
(ie around 60%-70% link quality), I stuck my panasonic 2.4Ghz phone right
next to the card and took it off hook. It barely added 3dB to the noise
figure and had no impact on the link quality! Also didn't seem to matter
what channel I used either.
There was also no noticable change in quality on the cordless aswell.

Whats the moral of this story??? I don't know, just thought u guys might be
interested.

Darren Dreis
Vice President
Melbourne Wireless Inc.
vicepresident at wireless.org.au
http://www.wireless.org.au

                    Radio Tech
                    <radio at dodo.com.au>             To:     melbwireless at wireless.org.au
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    owner-melbwireless at wirel        Subject:     [MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Critical Systems &
                    ess.org.au                      ISM

                    05/08/2002 12:20 PM

At 11:22 AM 8/5/02 +1000, lkhoo at csc.com.au wrote:
>>Speaking of this, has any one noticed the antennas on top of a lot of
>>traffic lights recently??
>
>>I can't think of any specific intersections at the moment, but I've seen
>>some.
>
>Yes! I've seen them everywhere and i've always wondered what they were!
>They are everywhere in the city. From memory I think there is one on the
>corner of Collins and Queen? Opposite the book shop.
>
>I saw one yesterday day and it looked like a jumbo omni (~ 3m+ high).
>
>I actually found that one of my sites had a heap of wireless stuff
>installed and I couldn't even tell without really looking for them. They
>had really small flat panel antenna's. They were about 2cm x 10cm x 5mm
and
>were placed on the corners of hall ways etc. These were then hooked into
>near by AP's.
>
>Lucas

It would be interesting to "see" just what the band occupancy is like,
with a Spectrum Analyser. I also suspect lots of in house cordless phone
networks using proprietory protocols are on 2.4GHz too.
It would be great to snoop the whole bandwidth to see whats going on :-)

Jack
Rockhampton