[MLB-WIRELESS] connecting

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 3 03:07:25 EST 2002

OK here's my attempt to summarise the current situation with slightly
less jargon...

At the moment it's true that we have very few functioning access
points.  Most of the existing entries on the nodemap are "interested"
or "building".  The arrival anyday now of a recent bulk purchase of
omnidirectional antennas should see a gradual change in that
situation.

As far as the question of how data is passed along from one node to
another, we have a working group looking into that:
http://wireless.org.au/wiki/?WGRouting , and when they have a
reccommended method we will be able to start rolling that out across
the exisiting nodes.

Ideally - and this is my opinion only - we would like to have as many
sites as possible operating as repeaters ("Access Points").  It is
really too early to make a blanket recommendation "_against_ using
omnidirectional".  It is very much going to depend on your location,
who and what is around you, and whether you want your site to become
a repeater or not.  Some sites/uses will need a combination of omni
and directional antennas - for example, a hilltop or high building
linking directionally to something a long way away (directional), and
providing blanket coverage to the local area (omni).

I would suggest you try to contact the people nearest to you on the
node map, and/or one of the regional working groups, and work
together to thrash out your goals.  That will give you a much clearer
idea of your hardware/software/routing needs.

Clae.

At 7:15 PM +0800 1/8/02, Justin Fonte wrote:
># Ryan Abbenhuys
># Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2002 5:23 PM
>#
>SNIP
>#
># While galaxies are directional antennas, there are other types which
>can
># send out a signal over say 90 degrees, 180, 360, etc.  You could use
>that
># style to connect to several people through the one card.
>#
>SNIP
>
>I would highly recommend _against_ using omnidirectional, or anything
>other than a directional antenna (such as a modded galaxy dish, a cubic
>quad, or a dual rhomboid).  The omni-directional antennas are ideal for
>Access Points, but not for clients.  The directional antennas have more
>gain and produce less noise that can interfere with other clients, or
>other Access Points attempting to use the same frequency you are using.
>Imagine the difference between every client using a 360 degree antenna
>to every client using a directional antenna, and the noise it would
>produce.
>
>Please leave omni-directional antennas exclusively to Access Points.

David Clae Gason, Secretary, Melbourne Wireless Inc
mailto:secretary at wireless.org.au  http://wireless.org.au

"I've created 25+ albums for major labels, and I've never once
received a royalty check that didn't show I owed them money" - Janis
Ian http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html