[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless 'cloud' may offer silver lining Or isit just 'pie-in-the-sky' technology?

Dave Fregon axxs at axxs.org
Fri Aug 2 18:23:44 EST 2002

At 05:04 PM 2/08/2002 +1000, dwayne wrote:
>Susan Whitham wrote:
> >
> > One of the things I'd be interested in would be the potential for local
> > community, activism and tourism information via wireless tech (say
> > information on things happening local to Melbourne (or whereever) in a
> > local cloud).
>
>I'd say the best way to go about this would be contact such groups once
>we have a reasonably ubiquitous mesh happening and make them aware of
>our potential as a content distribution channel, a opposed to us doing
>touristy-things ourselves.

good points, although having a mesh happening before contacting groups is a
nice idea, I think that helping places that haven't considered the
technology viable or accessible yet by informing them of how to use it for
sharing their content is a good idea.
I don't think melbourne wireless should or would involve itself in activism
outside things that directly affect it's realm/itself, but I do think that
these groups are ones that would not only utilise a link for accessing
content but provide content on their own, and MW has the experience and
support to be there for them. Not join with them, but be a resource, as
these groups are going to use wireless one day, if not already, not coz
they are geeks, but because it serves a purpose.
If solid links are needed on the mesh, these types of places are the ones
that would actually utilise the true nature of it, sharing resources as
opposed to just accessing them.
trades hall for instance.

Dave