[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless 'cloud' may offer silver lining Or is it just 'pie-in-the-sky' technology?

Dave Fregon axxs at axxs.org
Fri Aug 2 13:35:31 EST 2002

The potential of community groups utilizing wireless is large, mainly due
to the fact that many have solid content, and look to share
content/information amongst each other. The wireless system in essence is
relatively easy/cheap to set up ( can see a single benefit possibly
covering setting up a Node with hardware ..)

Looking at community oriented networks that exist already and what they are
doing to disseminate their content and where, their target audience
'congregate'. Need plays a large part in the uptake of this stuff,  things
like activist calendars , events and updates/news, and cross-referencing
others information (eg: say link say between a student union, and Friends
of the Earth).

Outside of 'organised' community groups their are also very strong
autonomous groups/collectives (I can name at least 10 in Melbourne),
without the huge cash needed for internet related information exchange (and
indeed most of their numbers may or may not have that paid-for access to
really utilise the net) that have already created things like BBS and
internet oriented material, where wireless would really help in organising
between those collectives of people. (internet eg: indymedia.org) For
instance, say an activist calendar/news node would be utilised in the city
by _any_ union or protest group to give on the spot commentary, discussion
and/or updates from those actually at the protest, and also give feedback
_back_ to them. Cross platform community oriented support in this way could
also be taken up as a need, not want, by the council/people ... if it
became so!

I really like the FAQ, and it would be good to get a printed form of it
that can be disseminated and start building knowledge of the technology as
an alternative, _different_, way to share information locally, and how it
can be used to utilize and access others content. An 'info' sheet on how to
get started and also find support.

Something like this should be continually revised and redistributed to the
community with ways to get further information.

Just a thought, as I think if Melb-Wireless informed groups a little like
this, much of the momentum would be taken on by the groups and members
themselves.

Dave F

PS: Maybe Melbourne Wireless should send out 'invites' to it's meetings to
community oriented groups? let them know it's there ... and growing?
Updates on the group as a wholes progress? get out in the thick of it ..
melbourne wireless is a 'community group' too.