[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless 'cloud' may offer silver lining Or is it just 'pie-in-the-sky' technology?

Susan Whitham gimila at obsidian.com.au
Fri Aug 2 00:44:08 EST 2002

One of the things I'd be interested in would be the potential for local
community, activism and tourism information via wireless tech (say
information on things happening local to Melbourne (or whereever) in a
local cloud).

<skeptic>
The article is really pointing at the latest "thing" that's been picked
up by a county council/public info officer and a school of journalism
looking for something to "offer to high tech industries that may want to
relocate" and bring other business in.  I'd feel more confident about it
if they said they were reacting to a perceived need/use rather a need
for a promotional activity/updated image :)
</skeptic>

I'd love to see a real go at providing a community/local service/use and
providing local content like tourism stuff (while being wary of issues
of cost/maintenance/digital divide/etc).

SusanW - list lurker