[MLB-WIRELESS] Amplifier question...

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Mon Apr 29 17:11:01 EST 2002

The reason is to do with the class license which allows the cards to
operate in the reserved spectrum without requiring an individual
license.  Basically it only covers unmodified gear as it comes out of
the box.  If you used an amplifier you would be operating an
unclassed device.

The 4 watt limit is *effective* power, ie including the gain you get
from using an antenna.

When it comes to that, maybe we should get a legal clarification
about homebrew antennae...

Clae

>Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here, but apart from the
>price, is there any reason why wireless amplifiers aren't more commonly
>used?
>
>(Such as ones mentioned in:
>http://www.ecwest.com/shopping/PriceList.asp?Brand=162)
>
>>From my understanding (and from the page:
>http://www.x.net.au/wireless.html), it is legal to transmit at up to 4W
>in the 2.4Ghz range in Australia - Considering that most of the cards
>that are popular are rated at about 30-100mW, wouldn't this be a massive
>advantage having that much power available?
>
>Now I'm probably just missing a really obvious point here, but if
>someone could enlighten me, it would be most appreciated :)
>
>Cheers,
>
>	Fenn.

         clae13 at yahoo.com        is no more
          clae at tpg.com.au        is where it's at
   Please change your address book entry if you have one