[MLB-WIRELESS] iwconfig - Nearly there

Matt Chipman mkchipman at optushome.com.au
Sat Apr 27 23:06:33 EST 2002

> > This doesnt happed from bootup, i have to issue ifup eth0 for it to get
> > this stage.
>
> I guess you're using Debian (well, you've got ifup ...). Add the line:
>
> auto eth0
>
> before your "iface eth0 ..." line and eth0 will be brought up
> automagically at boot time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Timshel

Thanks Tim i have it working nicely now.  Strangely, the linux box turned
into an AP and i don't understand why.  Under iwconfig, the system is using
managed mode and becomes unuseable if i turn on ad-hoc mode.  iwconfig also
reports it as an AP including mac address and Netstumbler running on the
win98 laptop also reports 1 AP.  using another laptop (total 2 laptops and 1
linux box) i can get them all to ping each other quite nicely.

I am glad it is working but really i would like to know what is happening if
anyone can tell me?

cheers

-Matt