[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Public Wireless Networks Fight Back

Greg Wright greg at wright-net.au.com
Fri Apr 19 20:34:44 EST 2002

Steven et al,

If you showed some intelligent approaches to the SW idea, your concerns
MIGHT be more convincing.

Personally, Im unlikely to see the benefit from SW, I live 2 Hrs north of
Sydney, but you know what I *do* see -- the chance to have a whole lot of
_Cisco_ Access Points chatting to each other.

   Cisco.

Not some $300 peice of junk that doesnt adhere well to standards, or
implements the technology incorrectly. Or is so feature poor that all it
allows is turning it on and pointing an antenna.

You want hack value -- play with a cisco (or better) for five minutes.

The problem is, that your letting the 'fee' issue cloud your judgements. The
idea is to build a good network. It might not work, but hey, the Melbourne
method mightnt either.

WHAT THE HELL DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE who is right or wrong? isnt it more
sensible to look at the pro's and cons of both models, and try to LEARN from
them? Be dynamic, grow with new and better idea's and move away from bad
ones. Both methods allow for this.

I hear there is talk of incorporation. God help it if you soon need to
obtain some funding source. If you *did* have to ask for fee's or
'donations', and Im saying *if*, then there is a lot of egg on your faces.

This is just starting to sound like an MS v Linux holy war.

Damn, how can people be SO narrow minded?

Regards,
Greg

NB: Please dont flame for the sake of it. Weve all heard the reasons for
your concerns before.
NB2: Although it might sound like Im pro-Sydney, in fact im indifferent.
Whatever works is fine. its just I dont see this same attitude in teh Syndey
ranks. So I cant get frustrated at the bickering. Just think about it. It
really does seem pointless.
NB3: I just bought some $300 peice of junk, id love a cisco though.