[MLB-WIRELESS] Membership fees etc. - was Fw: Public Wireless Networks Fight Back

Victor Rajewski vik at yoyo.its.monash.edu.au
Fri Apr 19 18:12:40 EST 2002

> In the event that we incorporate, the legislative regulations dictate
> that members must pay a membership fee. From memory, this can be as
> low as legal tender dictates, but in my (limited) experience is
> usually a couple of dollars.

We at spacestation (blatant plug: <http://www.spacestation.org.au>) are
just in the process of incorporation as a non-profit organisation; the
basic gist is: u can take the `template' or model rules as ur
constitution, in which case u need a membership fee (i think $2 is the
minimum), AGM, and a few other things. Or u can create ur own
constitution, which would have to be approved by whoever is in charge of
dishing out incorporation thingies. Or u can take the model constitution
and make some changes to it. It takes in the order of 3 months for the
process to go thru, so it'd b a good idea to start it off real soon. And
it _is_ possible to change the constitution at a later date; creating a
constitution can be an onerous task, and in our case we decided to stick
with the model one for the time being and change it if it becomes
necessary (these changes still need approval).

> Consider the model of public radio groups such as 3PBS-FM. A
> Co-operative has been set up which comprises a bunch of shareholders
> (from memory, $2 a share with a minimum limit). They look to
> 'subscribers', 'patrons' and 'sponsors' to help pay operating
> expenses, but also look to people's sense of fair play to cough up -
> they do not preclude anyone from listening to the broadcast. Melbourne
> Wireless could do the same thing (in time) - using bandwidth
> management or some other method, 'owners' or 'subscribers' could get a
> service which is in excess of Joe Public...

vik

There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not mad.

Salvador Dali